Need to buy whole turkey? Then our turkey will be your best friend. Our turkey is directly from our farm. They are healthy, fresh and 100% good.
Turkey Nutritional Value
The following nutrition information is provided by the USDA for 3 ounces (85g) of roasted turkey leg with the skin.
- Calories: 177
- Fat: 8.4
- Sodium: 65.4mg
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 0g
- Protein: 23.7g
Turkey doesn’t contain any carbohydrates unless it is breaded, marinated, or coated in a sauce that contains sugar, or sugar is added during processing (as with some lunch meats). Choosing fresh turkey rather than processed food products (like turkey bacon or sausage) can make a big difference in sugar content.
Most of the fat in turkey comes from the skin. A turkey leg with skin has about 8 grams of fat per 3-ounce serving. Of this, 2.6 grams come from saturated fat. There are generally equal parts of saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, and polyunsaturated fat in turkey. Removing the skin and cooking without added fat drastically reduces the total fat content.
Turkey is an excellent source of complete protein, with almost 24 grams in a 3-ounce serving. Leaner cuts (like skinless turkey breast) have a larger proportion of protein by weight.
Vitamins and Minerals
Turkey provides vitamin B12, folate, selenium, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, and calcium. Dark meat is higher in iron than white meat.
Turkey Health Benefits
The many health benefits of eating turkey include:
- Turkey is a very rich source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6 and the amino acid tryptothan. Apart from these nutrients, it is also contains zinc and vitamin B12. The skinless white meat of turkey is low on fat and is an excellent source of high protein.
- Turkey also contains anti-cancer properties. It is a very good source of the trace mineral selenium, which is an essential component required for thyroid hormone metabolism, antioxidant defence systems, and immune function. Scientific studies have suggested that selenium intake can bring down cancer incidence.
- Light, skinless roasted turkey is low on saturated fat and total fat. It also contains less cholesterol than chicken, pork or beef.
- Turkey is believed to have mood-enhancing properties. It contains tryptothan, which produces serotonin, a neurotransmitter that helps improve your mood. Tryptothan also plays an important role in strengthening the immune system, as suggested by scientific evidence.
- The vitamin B6 and niacin present in turkey are essential for energy production in the body. Niacin is also important for converting the proteins, fats and carbohydrates in the body into usable energy.
- Being a rich source of vitamin B6, turkey facilitates methyl donation in the basic cellular process of ‘methylation’. Through this process methyl groups are transferred from one molecule to another which results in the formation of a wide range of active molecules that are important for the body.
- The tryptothan present in turkey is effective in treating chronic insomnia. It promotes sleep and is therefore, recommended to those suffering from insomnia.
Organic foods offers nationwide delivery of turkey at an affordable price.
Organic foods offers nationwide delivery of turkey at an affordable price. Order now!
We deliver within 24 hours. Same day delivery also available (conditions applies)